This has become one of my family’s favorites – extended family as well. This recipe originated from a dear friend, Kissy, and has evolved over time. I’ve added in a few additional ingredients but it is very close to her original recipe. It is absolutely delicious!
I never really liked stuffed peppers, quite honestly, the smell of them used to make me gag! lol. As I got older though tastes changed. Two things have remained the same though: a forever friend and a delicious batch of steaming stuffed pepper soup. There is never a time that I don’t think of her as I am making it.
I hope that you can make this recipe your own. I hope that every time you make it you think of a forever friend. I hope that you feel blessed that you can enjoy a warm bowl of filling soup with family and feel thankful for all that God provides.
- 1½ lbs. lean ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 6 low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 1 chopped onion
- 5 large chopped green peppers
- 28 oz. tomato puree
- 8 oz. tomato soup
- 16 oz. crushed tomato
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ cup catsup
- 2 tsp. Frank's Red Hot
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups white rice
- Brown and drain ground meat.
- Transfer to large pot.
- Add water, bouillon cubes, onion, peppers, tomato puree, tomato soup, crushed tomatoes, paprika, ketchup, hot sauce and salt and pepper.
- Simmer until peppers are soft and tender.
- In separate pot cook rice. Rinse and add to large pot with all other ingredients. Continue simmering for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle some spaghetti cheese (grated parm or romano) on top.
- Serve with warm French Bread.
- Freezes very well!